Extending Hangouts meet premium features to all g suite customers through july 1, 2020
“Do the hard jobs first. Easy jobs will take care of themselves.”
Google recently extended Hangouts Meet premium features to all G Suite customers through July 1, 2020 to support employees, educators, and students as they move to work and learn remotely.
To improve the remote learning experience for teachers and students using Hangouts Meet, they’ve announced several improvements:
- Only meeting creators and calendar owners can mute or remove other participants in a meeting
- Meeting participants will not be able to re-join nicknamed meetings once the final participant has left
Improved meeting control features:
‘Mute’ and ‘Remove’ – only the meeting creator, Calendar event owner, or person who creates a meeting on an in-room hardware device will be allowed to mute or remove other participants in a meeting. This ensures a teacher, as a meeting creator or Calendar event owner, can’t be removed or muted by students participating in the event.
Check out the Help Center to learn how to assign meeting creation privileges to teachers and staff members.
Improved teacher controls for nicknamed meetings – participants will not be able to re-join a meeting after the final participant has left if:
- The meeting was created using a short link like g.co/meet/nickname
- The meeting was created at meet.google.com by entering a meeting nickname in the “Join or start a meeting” field
- The meeting was created in the Meet app by entering a nickname in the “Meeting code” field
This means if the teacher is the last person to leave these types of meetings, students cannot join later without the teacher.
If you don’t want students to be able to create meetings, use this Help Center article to assign meeting creation privileges to teachers and staff only.
Additional resources for getting started with Hangouts Meet
Visit the Help Center to learn more about using Meet with low bandwidth and tips for training teachers and students.
Admins: Visit the Help Center to learn more about assigning meeting creation privileges to users in your domain.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: These features have started rolling out and should be available to all G Suite for Education and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers within 2-3 weeks.
- Available to G Suite for Education and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers
- Not available to G Suite Basic, G Suite Enterprise, G Suite Business and G Suite for Nonprofits customers
- G Suite Updates Blog: Extending Hangouts Meet premium features to all G Suite customers through July 1, 2020
- Google Help: Live stream a video meeting
- Google Help: Record a video meeting
- Google Help: Start a video meeting
- Google Help: Troubleshoot issues with Hangouts Meet
- Google Help: Use captions in a video meeting
- Google Help: Accept and present audience questions
- G Suite Admin Help: Set up Meet for distance learning
- G Suite Admin Help: Prepare your network
- G Suite Admin Help: Turn on Meet video calling
Check out the video below for my quick overview of Google Hangouts as an alternative to Zoom.
Free Strategy Session
As the speed of change increases, so does the vast array of technology options that can empower people to work smarter, to gain the productivity edge.
Therefore book a FREE online meeting to look at the strategy to empower your team to get more done, to raise team productivity and output. To enhance your team culture in-order to retain and attract better people, to grow your bottom line.
Phone +64 9 973 5256
801/ 85 Beach Road, Auckland CBD,
Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Phone +64 3 974 9189
26 Ruby Avenue, Northwood,
Christchurch 8051, New Zealand
Phone +61 2 9042 2874
2/22 Tepko Road, Terrey Hills,
Sydney, NSW 2084, Australia